FIELD-STRIPPING YOUR 1911



    Everybody who owns and operates an M1911 should know and understand how to strip it down to it's basic groups:







    This is as far as I go in the field. I can disassemble further, of course; the firing pin / extractor group, mainspring group, and trigger group - but this is not necessary for daily cleaning, or basic problem solving.

    Yesterday, a question came up, so I took the opportunity to create a post and share the knowledge with all:


    The 1911 is my favorite of all handguns - my question is how to disassemble the mags for cleaning. I have some original Colt mags that I have no idea how to remove the floor plates. Can't find any cathes, latches or buttons. I haven't had any success with simply trying to slide it open, either; this will surely damage it.


    ANSWER:

    "Original" Colt mags have their floorplates welded to the tube.


    Yes, that's a six round magazine - I carry a compact Model 1911 - S.L.


    Stick a few rounds into the magazine, and then run a pin through the holes in the magazine tube to hold the spring down.





    Remove the rounds and the follower should fall out the top too. Carefully remove the pin, and the spring will come free:








    The spring and follower will come out now. Re-assembly's the reverse - about the only zinger is to watch the orientation of the spring v.s. the follower.




    Use a tool like I did to drive the spring back down so you can pin it when trying to re-assemble the magazine, and then just drop the follower in and release the pin.

    Remember: There are no stupid questions, only the ones which are never asked.



    "Oh yeah? Well if that's the case, how come the Professor can make a radio out of a coconut, but can't he fix a hole in a boat?"

    Let me re-phrase that. Sometimes there ARE stupid questions, but questions about guns, gun safety, and marksmanshp do not fall into that category.



    SEAN LINNANE SENDS




    .Source URL: https://brownlowpictures.blogspot.com/2010/11/field-stripping-your-1911.html
    Visit brownlow pictures for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive